Kentucky’s largest school district will hold a two-day vaccination clinic across two dozen schools to vaccinate students ages 5 and up.
Jefferson County Public Schools announced Thursday that free clinics will be held at 24 schools Nov. 13-14.
This comes days after the Centers for Disease Control recommended the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5-11. That’s the only one that will be offered.
While school officials said the clinics will focus on the new approved age group, all eligible students will be available to receive the vaccination during the clinics.
Eligible family and staff members will be able to receive Pfizer booster shots as well.
The clinics, which will be run by SphereDX, will be open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. both days at all the sites.
The second round of shots will be available on Dec. 4-5.
Families can register for the vaccination clinic on the JCPS website. A limited number of walk-ins will be accommodated as space allows.
Below is a full list of the participating schools:
- Academy @ Shawnee: 4001 Herman St Louisville, KY 40212
- Carter Traditional Elementary: 3600 Bohne Avenue Louisville, KY 40211
- Central High School: 1130 West Chestnut Street, Louisville, KY 40203
- Eastern High School: 12400 Old Shelbyville Rd, Louisville, KY 40243
- Fairdale High School: 1001 Fairdale Rd Louisville, KY 40118
- Grace James Academy: 1615 W. Broadway Louisville, KY 40203
- Greenwood Elementary: 5801 Greenwood Road Louisville, KY 40258
- Iroquois High School: 4615 Taylor Boulevard, Louisville, KY 40215
- Jacob Elementary: 3701 E. Wheatmore Drive 40215
- Jeffersontown High School: 9600 Old Six Mile Lane, Louisville, KY 40299
- Kammerer Middle School: 7315 Wesboro Rd Louisville, KY 40222
- Male High School: 4409 Preston Highway, Louisville, KY 40213
- McFerran Preparatory Academy: 1900 S. Seventh St, Louisville, KY 40208
- Meyzeek Middle School: 828 S. Jackson Street Louisville, KY 40203
- Marion C. Moore School: 6415 Outer Loop, Louisville, KY 40228
- Newburg Middle School: 4901 Exeter Ave, Louisville, KY 40218
- Newcomer Academy: 3741 Pulliam Drive, Louisville, KY 40218
- Ramsey Middle School: 6409 Gellhaus Lane, Louisville, KY 40299
- Seneca High School: 3510 Goldsmith Lane, Louisville, KY 40220
- Shelby Traditional Academy: 735 Ziegler St, Louisville, KY 40217
- Southern High School: 8620 Preston Hwy Louisville, KY 40219
- Valley High School: 10200 Dixie Highway, Louisville KY 40272
- Waggener High School: 330 S. Hubbards Lane, Louisville, KY 40207
- Western High School: 2501 Rockford Lane Louisville, KY 40218
Just over half of the students in JCPS are newly eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. More than 48,200 children are in the 5-11 age group in the district.
More on child vaccines
For 5 to 11-year-olds, the Pfizer dose is a third of the size given to adults and children 12 and older. That means any symptoms would likely be milder.
Doctors say it is effective, safe and practical for many families.
The vaccine does not alter DNA or affect fertility, experts say.